The Rising Sun is a 15thCentury pub situated in the tiny hamlet of Knapp near North Curry in Somerset. This quintessential traditional English pub offers a selection of ales, ciders, lager and wine and is accompanied by a gastro food menu freshly prepared by our French chef.
The History of the Rising Sun, Knapp
There is evidence to suggest that the origins of this building are pre-1500. Originally possibly a longhouse with animal byre or possibly built as an Open Hall house rebuilt in the 16C when a fireplace was inserted.
The building stands at the foot of a steep hill and stands high above the road at the north end. It has a typical plan of three bays and a cross passage with various later additions at the back and south end. The present two storey tiled roof building has coursed rubble walls which have been raised in brick when it was re-roofed with substantial trusses with tusk-tenoned purlins in possibly M18C. the windows are doors are late replacements. The north gable end, the front wall as far as the entrance of the cross passage, and the back of the Hall stack are set unusually on a plinth.
Between the outer room north and the cross passage is a stud and panel screen which has plain chamfered mason mitred studs with a still beam on a stone base. This room was possibly rebuilt in the 17C as a kitchen before which it could possibly have been the byre of a longhouse. The hearth in the outer room has a blocked hearth tunnel indicating a former curing chamber, now a plain recess. Stairs are of a later date.
The Hall fireplace backing onto the cross passage and the twelve panelled framed ceiling have moulded chamfers of high quality and suggest a date of E16C. the date of the fireplace is uncertain due to the loss of the original roof, but the Hall was evidently open, its ceiling inserted.
There is evidence of two doors in the stud and a plank screen in the inner room south of the Hall. One of which would once have given access to the stairs of an overhead solar, the other to the Hall. Although this room has been much altered with walls in this section 30 inches thick, and together with the plain chamfered studs and 45 degree flat stops of the screen and the remains of a sill beam indicate a very early building of not later than c. 1500.
In contrast to the high quality of the ceiling and fireplace in the Hall, the very narrow steep spiral stairs that rise to the left of the fireplace in the Hall, and not as is more usual beside the cross passage door, are a puzzle. The door between the cross passage and the Hall is plain chamfered and mason mitred to a shallow peaked head and indicates a later date.
© Angela Dix 2015